Pages

9 Reasons Why We Should Accept Fr. Benedict Groeschel's Apology




“I apologize for my comments. I did not intend to blame the victim. A priest (or anyone else) who abuses a minor is always wrong and is always responsible. My mind and my way of expressing myself are not as clear as they used to be. I have spent my life trying to help others the best that I could. I deeply regret any harm I have caused to anyone.” 
– Fr. Benedict Groeschel.


After reading the Wikipedia entry on Fr. Benedict, I realized that there are at least 9 reasons why we should accept his apology:

1. “In 1960, Groeschel became the chaplain for the Children’s Village, a Dobbs Ferry, New York based facility for emotionally disturbed children.”
2. “In 1967, he founded The St. Francis House in Brooklyn, New York, which provides a safe haven for young men looking for a new start in life.”
3. “In 1985, he co-founded with Christopher Bell the Good Counsel Homes for homeless pregnant women and children.”
4. “In 1987, Groeschel and seven Capuchin colleagues left their order to begin the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal with the mission of preaching reform and serving the poor.”
5. “Since joining the Institute of Psychological Sciences in 2000, he has taught an annual intensive course focused on how to give practical assistance to people experiencing trauma, extreme stress, and sorrow - while at the same time integrating religious values with counseling and psychotherapy.”
6-9. “Other works of charity that Groeschel is involved with are:

·         the Padre Pio Shelter,
·         St. Anthony Residence,
·         St. Francis Youth Center and
·         St. Benedict Joseph Medical Center in Honduras.”