Pages

On the "Lesser of Two Evils" Argument

Today's reflection was inspired by a recent story in the Chicago Tribune that reads "Americans are scared of their presidential options, both Clinton and Trump."  My daily experience confirms this.  No more than two of my Facebook friends could pass as supporters of one or the other candidate.

When someone reminds me that Hillary Clinton is at least a better alternative to Donald Trump (let's just accept this questionable assumption for the sake of argument), the difference for me is almost as meaningless as that between binge drinking and cigarette smoking, both of which can kill you, even if one works its lethal effects more quickly than the other. 

Although I may be exaggerating the impact that a president can have on a country in which powers are constitutionally separated, the "lesser of two evils" argument has never appeared so weak.